Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Tocar en Oaxaca


On Valentine's Day I got to DJ at Cafe Central in Oaxaca, which is defintely the best venue in town. The Ginger Ninjas played first, they are a band from Cali who use stationary bikes to power their musical equipment. Pretty rad. They crowd was really good, mixed Mexican and backpackers, and people were getting down until well after 4am. Moya was there and hooped onstage in front of hundreds of people and they loved it. I played Cumbia, Hip Hop, and Dancehall early on, then switched to a mix of Balkan-Gypsy club remixes and House tracks that sample Cumbias and other latin music. Late in the night I went straight-up Club bangers, which wore everyone out pretty fast. The word from the floor was "we want salsa!". I played the few tracks that I had, but Yadira, the manager had to step in and close out the night with some classic salsa tracks that had people dancing like mad! Moya and I finished the night with a shot of the house Mescal, both got payed, and the owner said that we had brought the vibe of Mehanata, the famous Bulgarian club in NYC, to Oaxaca.




No comments:

Post a Comment